Saturday 13 August 2011

The Standard in the dock

It disgusts me that London, one of the greatest cities in the world, has only one newspaper and that is the Evening Standard. The paper used to be a good one. When it was a paid-for title, I remember a series of well-written, well-researched articles, including one of the best articles I've ever read by Kate Hilpern about people who go missing in the city. Now I see the magazine piled up outside rail stations and hardly ever see anyone pick up a copy. Perhaps because it seems to be filled with stories of chinless socialites and the daughters of Russian billionaires who have nothing to say for themselves and are not in the least bit interesting.

Now the paper is little more than a mouthpiece for London Mayor Boris Johnson. How I wish we had the equivalent of the New York Times in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment